The Eagles are 3-2 and they’re tied for the division lead. We’ve gutted out 3 close wins. We lost to the Steelers by two points. Everything is good. The Eagles are 8th in yards allowed per game on defense, 10th in scoring defense, 11th in yards per game on offense and 8th in the NFL in rushing attempts. Things are going well, right?
Wrong. Oh, so wrong. What I failed to mention is that we lead the NFL in red-zone turnovers, Michael Vick is the most hit QB in the NFL, we’re the second lowest scoring offense in the league only above the Jacksonville Jaguars (!!!) and we’re once again at the bottom of the league in turnover ratio.
People who are going around saying that “We’re 3-2, we’re a-okay!” are oversimplifying things, they’ve taken things so out of focus that they’re not able to actually evaluate the team’s performance. It’s easy to say “We’re number one!’ without looking further into the problems the Eagles have. Yes, we’ve won three of five games but there are 16 games in a season and unless things start shaping up quickly, we could easily see this unfocused picture change very, very quickly. The problem(s) the Eagles have don’t appear to be being solved, it’s the same thing every single week and soon, it will come back to bite this team again just like it did Sunday.
What’s the problem? Michael Vick, otherwise known as “Mr. Turnover” (I made that up, aren’t I clever?). Since the start of last season (that’s 21 games), Michael Vick has missed 3 games and in the other 18 games he’s played in he’s turned the ball over 29 times. I repeat, Michael Vick has turned the ball over TWENTY NINE TIMES IN EIGHTEEN GAMES. In that same span he’s scored 26 times. Vick is turning the ball over more than he is scoring the ball. And just for funsies, there have been 3 QBs to take snaps for the Eagles in the past 21 games and they’ve combined for a whopping total of 40 turnovers.
- Michael Vick has attempted 185 passes, 7th most in the league
- Michael Vick has thrown for 1321 yards, 8th most in the league
- Michael Vick has completed 58.5% of his passes, 24th in the league
- Michael Vick has 7 touchdown passes, 17th best in the league
- Michael Vick is averaging 7.1 yards per attempt, 17th worst in the league
- Michael Vick has 6 interceptions, the 6th worst mark in the league.
- 34.1% of Michael Vick’s passes have been for first downs, the 20th best mark in the league
- Michael Vick has 18 passes of 20 yards or more, 10th best in the league