As I sat there watching NFL Network broadcast the hall of fame speeches I wondered to myself, “Which Eagles could make the hall of fame?” I came up with a very short list of players and coaches. I thought of Andy Reid, Asante Samuel, DeSean Jackson, Nnamdi Asomugha and Brian Dawkins. Now I think that it’s quite clear that DeSean Jackson and Asante Samuel have a lot of work to do but I’m not going to rule it out, they’re skillsets are truly unique and they change games. But there is one guy who absolutely MUST be enshrined in the hall: Brian Dawkins.
I can’t even think of a single moment that defines the greatest Eagle that I’ve ever watched with my own two eyes. Brian Dawkins is a transcendent football player that needs to be immortalized in the hallowed halls of Canton’s Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Where do you even begin with Dawkins? He has done so much. So, instead of making a fool of myself and trying to define Brian Dawkins’ career with my words I will let his accomplishments speak for themselves.
- -Brian Dawkins is the winningest Eagles player of all time. When he left the Eagles back in 2009 he had been a part of 109 wins, the most in Eagles history.
- -Brian Dawkins has made the probowl a grand total of 8 probowls, third most of any safety in NFL history
- -He is a four time first team all pro. In the history of the NFL only Ronnie Lott, Larry Wilson, Jack Christiansen, Ed Reed and Willie Wood have been first team all pros more often than Brian Dawkins. All of those players are hall of famers or future hall of famers.
- -Brian Dawkins has 23 sacks on his career, 4th most of any safety in the history of the game.
- -Brian Dawkins is one of nine players in NFL history with at least 20 sacks and 20 interceptions and he is one of four defensive backs.
- -Brian Dawkins is one of three players in NFL history with at least 35 interceptions and 20 sacks.
- -Brian Dawkins has forced the most fumbles out of any defensive back in the history of the NFL. The only two players that I can find who had more forced fumbles than Dawkins were Derrick Thomas and Rickey Jackson. Yes, you read that correctly, Dawkins has forced more fumbles than Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White.
- -Of all the active players in the NFL today, only Ray Lewis has recovered more fumbles.
- -Brian Dawkins is the only player in the history of the NFL with 30 interceptions and 30 forced fumbles.
- -Since 1980 the only players with more combined forced fumbles and interceptions are Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson.
Brian Dawkins was an all time great on the field and he was a great person off of it too. Brian Dawkins was the heart and soul of a defense that helped propel the Eagles to 10 playoff wins in the 2000s. He was a player that played a huge role in setting up the foundation of a winning franchise with leadership ability and his take no prisoners mentality on the field.
And just look at the players that benefitted from playing with Brian Dawkins. Brian Dawkins played alongside Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Michael Lewis, Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard and Quintin Mikell. All of them can all look to Brian Dawkins and say that he helped them become the players they were/are.
And you know damn well that Dawk would give one hell of a speech.